POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) : Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...)
From: scott
Date: 6 Nov 2008 03:13:03
Message: <4912a70f@news.povray.org>
> Gah.. All I need, an open network with two other machines already on it,
> for how ever long it takes for me to figure out that the frell the problem
> is..

Nobody is going to hack your xbox, especially if it's not even connected to
the network properly :-) And presumably the other PC will only be connected
for brief periods to change router settings?  If you're really paranoid,
then just make sure the firewall on the PC is fully on before you connect to
the router.

> Note, it **can't be** the security though, since I already got "past" that
> part. If it was, then it would have failed, as it was initially doing, at
> step 2, not step 3. Its almost certainly something else, some place. :p

That thing where it "connects" but doesn't get an IP, I had that happen when
the machine was not in the MAC "allow" list.  Anyway, I think the 1st step
is definitely to reset the router to its default settings, that will at
least give you some further information about the problem, whether it works
or not.