POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) : Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:48:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Nov 2008 21:48:04
Message: <49125ae4@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> I don't get why the heck the thing would be complaining it can't get one,
>
> I don't know. I'm kinda stumped too. Google for "xbox" and the model
> number of your router?

Yeah. Think I tried that before, but maybe not. The info online seems
damn useless, and mostly amounts to "reset everything back to defaults,
and if that doesn't work, either hardline it, or buy one that does
work", which I suppose is useful for some moron that has more money than
brains.. lol

> There are actually things in the Windows DHCP packet (in the "reserved
> for proprietary use" fields) that Windows requires that others don't,
> and maybe your router isn't providing them? Can you get dynamic IPs on
> your other windows machines?

Yep. It was set up to assign them automatically *every time* they
powered on and made a request. I reserved addresses for them, so that if
one was "offline" and I connected a wireless, it wouldn't assign the IP
for that machine to the wireless and mess up the values. Note, I did try
to set a "reserved" address for the MAC of the XBOX, but it demands a
"device name" or some such, which computers have, but which is
"unassigned" in the XBOX, as near as I can tell, or.. at least it
doesn't show one when looking at the data for the wireless clients while
its partly connected (but not yet with an IP). It does get far enough
that it "shows" as a wireless client in the router though, so..
somethings just going screwy after the it starts talking.

>> You kidding? This is Wallmart. Most of the time the policy is, "You
>> opened it, you can't bring it back!" Mind, this may not be the case
>> here, but still, would rather fix the problem, if possible.
>
> Really? I've never had a problem returning stuff to wal-mart. I suspect
> I could bring back a half-eaten box of ice-cream and get my money back.

Hmm. Maybe was thinking of someone else I got guff from.. K-Mart, I
think. Brought a movie back that wouldn't play right (stupid default
audio channel was all screwed up and only the music came through) and
got the whole, "Well, we can't give you your money back, you just have
to buy a movie with the same value to replace it", BS.

>> Gah.. Not going to go that far, just run it "around" the doors, if I
>> have to.
>
> Check out your fry's to find wiring that's flat and will stick to the
> walls. It looks way nicer. They might or might not have it there.

Think I have some black... Hmm, no, actually I think I got rid of it,
and I am not sure it was CAT5E complaint anyway. Also, the closest on of
those is several thousand miles from here. :(

> Alternately, what I did (for one length of speaker wire) was go to the
> hardware store and buy a roll of the stuff you use to recauck your
> bathtub. It's a strip of white plastic with a crease in the middle and
> glue on the underside. You can cover any wiring with it and it'll likely
> look better.  Assuming your walls are close to white, that is.

Huh, interesting idea.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {