POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's here! : Re: It's here! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's here!
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Nov 2008 16:54:34
Message: <4912161a$1@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth wrote:
> Thank you, I enjoyed it a lot.

Well that's certainly what I'm aiming for!

> Of course - like Tom Austin said - people
> who don't play piano will not notice how difficult it is to hit it just
> right - even more so on an organ with heavy keys I guess (?). And they
> compare it to professional performances and hear the glitches, but you
> shouldn't care about that.

What I would be interested to know... compared to a propper performance,
does my rendition sound "recognisibly" like the real time?

I always think that if a tune is similar enough that people recognise
what it is, that's a solid way to start.

> I play trombone myself. I know, that compared to some other "more
> professional amateur" trombone players it's probably not "good enough",
> but I enjoy doing it. It gives me something, which I miss, if I don't
> play for some time. And I keep steadily improving.

The truly astounding thing about this toccata is just how far I've come.
When I first started trying to play it, it was painfully slow and
mechanical. There were parts of it where I knew the notes but I
literally couldn't play those parts because it was just too hard. And
look at me now! I played the entire thing, end to end, with no gaps at
all. (OK, actually I missed about half a bar at the end. So shoot me!)
Parts which seemed impossibly hard just weeks ago now slow past with
effortless grace.

I haven't reached that stage with all of the score yet. My next
challenge is getting both hands working. I've made some good progress.
Maybe I'll post a video for that too...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/