POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's here! : Re: It's here! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's here!
From: Tom Austin
Date: 5 Nov 2008 15:55:52
Message: <49120858$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> The long and short is, I'm hitting all the correct notes in the right
> order, but I'm not entirely "happy" with the performance. I know I can
> do better. I'm just frustrated I don't have that on video... :-/

I think better isn't just reproducing the music better, but adding depth
to it - not by adding extra notes.

It's like wine - anyone can make *wine* - but what make a wine good....

>> I could believe that.  I think just learning what music is, how to
>> read it and even just hum it are a great start - I can't even do
>> that.  I've 'learned' how to read sheet music at various times in my
>> life - just never used it enough to actually remember any of it.
>
> Heh. It's 10 years since the last time I seriously tried to read music.
> I've now been learning this Toccata for so long, it's almost comming
> back to me. ;-)
>
> Being able to read and/or write music isn't the same as being able to
> play it. I'm more concerned with being able to play it.

I guess you are right there - knowing is something completely different
that doing.

I've heard songs that were sung by the author that enveloped you in what
it was saying - then I've heard the same song to the same tune sung by a
*good* singer only to find it stale and missing something.

>> Oh to be able to play something from within my head that actually made
>> people smile.....
>
> Amen!
>
> Most people look at this YouTube video and go "that's nice dear".
> Doesn't do justice to the 3 months I spent reaching this level...

But that's just it - there are very people who actually look at the
effort that someone put into something.  They look at the surface - is
it good or not.  They judge you against the naturals who can do things
with out thinking and without practice.  We see it all the time -
acting, sports, work, etc....

Also, a lot of people that you talk to may not really care about what
you are doing - so your accomplishment really means nothing.  It's like
me stating that I can run 100m in 11.5s to a lazy fat history teacher.
So what....  that's not 9.69.

No those who know what you are doing and at least understand it some
know how difficult it can be.  Not everyone can run 100m in 11.5s - not
everyone can play that piece of music.  Especially someone who had tried
to play it, but couldn't.  They may praise you.

Tom