POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ECG : Re: ECG Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ECG
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Nov 2008 15:50:49
Message: <49120729$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   The fingertips are the most sensitive part of the human body. You *really*
>>> want blood samples taken from your fingers?
>
>> I believe the distinction of being *the* most sentivite part belongs
>> to... well no, let's not go there... but I believe your mouth rates
>> higher than your fingertips.
>
>   No, I'm pretty sure the skin of the fingertips is the most sensitive of
> the human body. I remember reading that (maybe it was from the Guinnes book
> of records, or something like that).
>
>   OTOH, it might be talking about other type of sensitivity than pain.

Possibly.

I understand that the greatest density of *nerve endings* (which doesn't
automatically correlate with sensitivity) is the clitoris. (If you
happen to have one. Obviously.) And that's by a considerable margin.

As to which parts have the best spatial resolution, touch / pressure /
pain sensitivity, etc... well you would probably have a long argument
about that. Surely your fingertips are high up on the list, but I doubt
they're at the top. (Although surely higher than your elbow, which is
the point you were really trying to make...)

> For
> example, you can read braille writing with your fingertips, but I'm pretty
> certain you can't do it with your tongue, even though a cut on your tongue
> might hurt more than a cut on your fingertip.

Funny you should mention that... I read about some people who conducted
an experiment where patients learned to "see" through their tongue by
having a set of electrodes connected to it. So merely reading braille
should be quite easy.

>   Anyways, a cut in the finger hurts a lot. It's by far not the first place
> I would like a needle to be poked into me.

Actually, I'd prefer to not have any needles poked into me anywhere... >_<

I'm sure you'll agree with me on that point!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/