POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) : Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...)
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Nov 2008 14:46:20
Message: <4911f80c$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Its in the "don't allow" filter, since someone logged in the first day

OK. Nevermind then.

> It does connect, it just isn't being given an IP.

I'm not sure how "connected" you are. :-)

> Hmm. Interesting point. I think I have a permanent IP, but I am not
> sure, but the router *is* using the ISP to get the DHCP. Still, this
> makes no sense, since the router's own IPs not "static", they get issued
> to anything trying to connect to them on an "as needed" basis. I had to
> manually "reserve" two for my two networked PCs, so that any wireless
> system couldn't "steal" the IP and screw up stuff like the EverQuest
> emulation server, which uses a "static" IP for connecting (it won't
> allow anyone to connect unless they come from the same IP they last
> connected from).

OK. You're probably good there then.

> Again, since its my router that need to be giving out the IP for **its**
> network...

Yeah.

> I don't get why the heck the thing would be complaining it
> can't get one,

I don't know. I'm kinda stumped too. Google for "xbox" and the model
number of your router?

There are actually things in the Windows DHCP packet (in the "reserved
for proprietary use" fields) that Windows requires that others don't,
and maybe your router isn't providing them? Can you get dynamic IPs on
your other windows machines?

> You kidding? This is Wallmart. Most of the time the policy is, "You
> opened it, you can't bring it back!" Mind, this may not be the case
> here, but still, would rather fix the problem, if possible.

Really? I've never had a problem returning stuff to wal-mart. I suspect
I could bring back a half-eaten box of ice-cream and get my money back.

> Gah.. Not going to go that far, just run it "around" the doors, if I
> have to.

Check out your fry's to find wiring that's flat and will stick to the
walls. It looks way nicer. They might or might not have it there.

Alternately, what I did (for one length of speaker wire) was go to the
hardware store and buy a roll of the stuff you use to recauck your
bathtub. It's a strip of white plastic with a crease in the middle and
glue on the underside. You can cover any wiring with it and it'll likely
look better.  Assuming your walls are close to white, that is.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)