POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's here! : Re: It's here! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's here!
From: Tom Austin
Date: 5 Nov 2008 14:07:51
Message: <4911ef07@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Heh. It depends. I've been practising for decades, but even when I first
> started, I quickly became fairly good at it. It takes some doing to get
> to the point where you can play fluidly - but it is *so* worth it when
> you get there! :-D

Mu understanding is that music is not just pressing keys or hitting
something.  It is flowing from within and what your fingers or toes do
just is as expression of that.  Sure, you might be reading sheet music,
but that's like looking at words while singing a song you know.

I'm too much of a perfectionist.  I would struggle with how to get the
timing so perfect that I would miss the 'art' of it all.

I would be better off making a jig or writing some program that
reproduced the music.

But then again - that's already been done.

> I play keyboards. Once you know how to play something on a keyboard, you
> know how to move your fingers in the right way. If you can reach that
> stage, learning other stuff becomes much easier. (Easier compared to
> somebody who's never played in their life, that is. Some tunes never
> become "easy"...)

I could believe that.  I think just learning what music is, how to read
it and even just hum it are a great start - I can't even do that.  I've
'learned' how to read sheet music at various times in my life - just
never used it enough to actually remember any of it.

Oh to be able to play something from within my head that actually made
people smile.....  I guess that will be limited to what my programming
and electronics accomplish - maybe a subject that I actually have a gift in.

Tom