POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Thoughts on Spore? : Re: Thoughts on Spore? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Thoughts on Spore?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 5 Nov 2008 13:48:43
Message: <4911ea8b$1@news.povray.org>
Mike the Elder wrote:
> I'm just bored enough to think about dropping fifty bucks on the MAC/PC version
> of Spore(The "Make-A-Creature" game)and thought I'd solicit some feedback
> first.  Does the game offer any real opportunities for creativity and/or
> interesting problem solving or am I destined to be disappointed one more time
> by another "no-brainer" surrounded by a lot of hype and pretty pictures?

There is a lot of creativity involved, but is pretty light on problem
solving. It doesn't take much to get through the different stages, the
space stage can be a bit monotonous. It all depends, I enjoy the game,
but for some reason it draws me in. You get to participate in the world
with the things you make, which is really cool, and once you have a
sizable library of your own creations it's kind of cool to go down to a
planet's surface and see your critter running around. There's lots of
room for improvement, so, expect a lot of expansions to the game.

Interaction with the game is rather simplistic: Cell you basically float
around and devour other cells, protein particles or plants, depending on
your choice of mouth. Creature stage you move around and can either
interact socially with the creatures, (you have 4 things you can do:
sing, dance, charm, pose) or attack other creatures, again 4 things
(bite, charge, strike, spit) Tribe is basically the same sort of thing.
you can either perform for or attack another village, performance is
much like the social game in the creature stage, where you chose the
instrument they request. Civilization you'll start out as one of 3 city
types, based on what you did in the tribe game. You can capture other
cities and assimilate their type, or convert them to your original type.
Then it's on to space: The galaxy is huge, there are some things you can
find, such as galactic formations, the center of the galaxy, and other
items, You can see what life is on other planets, and interact with
other space-faring races. Space is mostly exploration and empire
building with a large dose of trading.

Don't expect deep gameplay from Spore, though. It is revolutionary in
many aspects, and the scenery is beautiful.

--
~Mike