POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XKCD := WTF? : Re: XKCD := WTF? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XKCD := WTF?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 5 Nov 2008 13:40:24
Message: <4911e898$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> Removing such a stupid standard means the value is based on what it
>> really was in the first place, trust that you can spend it, and get
>> something back, including, if you have enough, gold bars.
>
> No. Removing the standard means it's based on trust that someone who
> refuses to take your IOU will be shot.  There has never been a
> successful fiat currency that wasn't based on "you can pay your taxes
> with it!"

Again, I am not sure what your point is. Someone could use the "gold
standard", then ship all the gold to some other country, where it
basically ceases to exist, and until someone demanded to "see" the gold,
no one would have a clue anything had changed. Such a standard, as I
have tried to point out, is meaningless on its face, since you are still
trusting someone to "honestly" have what they claim is being used to
back it, no matter if its "You can pay your taxes with this slip of
paper.", or, "Someplace there are gold bars that this is valued to some
percentage of. Honest! Cross my heart!" The very idea that they *is* a
real difference between these in terms of how the money itself gets
used, and what ever trust is placed in it, is, I am sorry, but...
delusional.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {