POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Filtering - don't bank on it... : Re: Filtering - don't bank on it... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Filtering - don't bank on it...
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 5 Nov 2008 04:16:11
Message: <4911645b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
> Would help if I actually wrote something before posting... ;-)
>
>> I want to split a sound signal
>
> Don't worry about the phase of the signals then, your ears don't care.
> In hardware filters the phase is rarely preserved, and actually often
> varies as a function of frequency.  Just make sure the phase shift is
> the same for the Left and Right channels, otherwise you might mess up
> some stereo effect.

More significantly, if the same frequency is present in more than one
channel, phase will matter. (I still need to add the channels back
together again and end up with the same signal as before, which won't
happen if phase differences cause spurious boosting/cutting.)

Besides, in a digital FIR filter, it's trivial to make the filter
zero-phase.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/