POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : location dependant refractive index : Re: location dependant refractive index Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: location dependant refractive index
From: Alain
Date: 4 Nov 2008 21:19:58
Message: <491102ce$1@news.povray.org>
feestje nous illumina en ce 2008-11-03 07:05 -->
> I made a version with loop. I believe it will work. only problem i heve is with
> the lighting. I want to use a plane that emits light. This is the codeI am
> using:
>
> light_source
> { <0,0,0>, 1
>   looks_like {
>   plane {
>      z, 1000
>      pigment {
>          color White  }
>              finish {
>           ambient 1 }
>
> }  }}
>

> it seems the only light production from this code is because of the ambient
> statement.
>
> is it even possible to have a plane emit light?
>
> Regards, Ruud

You can have any object emit light, but not with a plain scene.

For that, you need to use radiosity. In a scene with radiosity enabled, ANY
object with a non-zero ambient value will act as a light source.
An object with a negative pigment or with a negative ambient will shed darkness.

The simplest radiosity setting is:

global_settings{radiosity{}}

In a radiosity scene, you should turn off the default ambient:

#default{finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0.9}}

Some will tell you to add "ambient_lights 0" to the global settings, but it will
remove any ambient, and you won't be abble to use high ambient object as light
sources.

Please consult the documentation and help files for more radiosity informations.

--
Alain
You know you've been raytracing too long when you see something in the real