POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) : Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:51:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...)
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Nov 2008 21:02:10
Message: <4910fea2$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> OK... Anyone here have an XBOX 360 and a Linksys WRT150N router, and can
> tell me why the hell if fails to connect in the test phase for getting
> an IP?

I just spent 3 hours running a hardwire under the carpet to mine, so I
have to assume you're talking wireless. :-)

> Note, its using WEP, not WEP2, so that's not the issue. Filtering of MAC
> is on, but that isn't the issue, since the only MAC in the filter is not
> the one for the XBOX.

My guess is that's the issue, depending on how you have the filter set.
If there's only one MAC address, I'm assuming it's an "allow" filter,
and you're not allowing the XBox's MAC address?

Try turning off the MAC filter to start with.

> (I mean, what the hell would setting it DMZ matter if it
> isn't getting a fracking IP in the first place?).

Depends on whether you're relying on your router or the ISP to serve the
DHCP?

> Apparently, this problem also, often, doesn't happen with people
> connecting computers via wifi, just the damn 360... I have run out of
> ideas at this point, and I would hate to think I just wasted $100 on
> something that won't connect me..

Don't you have return policies there? :-)

> Kind of "inconvenient",

Tell me about it. My hips still ache. 30+ feet of fishtape under the
carpet. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)