POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The pulse : Re: The pulse Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The pulse
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Nov 2008 20:54:10
Message: <4910fcc2@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
> That's because every nation is a minority of the world, and therefore
> most mathematicians are foreign.

This doesn't mathematically follow unless you assume a sufficiently flat
distribution of mathematicians. Since intellectuals tend to like hanging
around their peers, this tends not to happen.

Check out, for example, the number of Chinese Nobel prize winners vs USA
Nobel prize winners. Not because Chinese aren't smart, but because the
scientists from all over the world often come to the USA to do their
thing, even if they're "foreign".  (Or at least used to, a few decades
ago, before we started thinking stupidity was a virtue.)

> I recall reading somewhere, however, that the great work of math is
> still in progress.  There remain a large number of unsolved,
> long-standing problems in math, and some of the frontiers of theoretical
> physics are presently at a standstill because the necessary math hasn't
> been developed yet.

Well... maybe. :-) Lots of stuff is hard to calculate, even tho the math
is, in theory, pretty simple.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)