POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) : XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  XBOX fun (or trying not to take a hammer to my router...)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 4 Nov 2008 19:09:42
Message: <4910e446$1@news.povray.org>
OK... Anyone here have an XBOX 360 and a Linksys WRT150N router, and can
tell me why the hell if fails to connect in the test phase for getting
an IP?

Note, its using WEP, not WEP2, so that's not the issue. Filtering of MAC
is on, but that isn't the issue, since the only MAC in the filter is not
the one for the XBOX. I even tried setting a static IP, and even
assigning that IP as the "default" IP for that MAC address (umm, does
the name for the computer/device need to be the same, since the XBOX
doesn't seem to ID itself and setting a default IP for the mac requires
the name too... But, the same error happened when simply setting the
address in the XBOX, *and* when leaving it on "automatic".

I get the sense this is a common, and unbelievably stupid, problem with
the 360 and wireless, from the net, but the "solutions" are things I
have either already tried, am not 100% sure how to do right, or would
have an effect (I mean, what the hell would setting it DMZ matter if it
isn't getting a fracking IP in the first place?). Or, just unbelievably
stupid, like opening my network up, including disabling encryption,
which would let any idiot that drove by have access to a network with
two other computers on it, one on 24/7...

Apparently, this problem also, often, doesn't happen with people
connecting computers via wifi, just the damn 360... I have run out of
ideas at this point, and I would hate to think I just wasted $100 on
something that won't connect me..

Note: If all else failed I could try a hard line, but that runs into two
doors. I.e., where the XBOX is, and the router, its a ceiling fan, the
door out of the room, and the door of the closet. Kind of
"inconvenient", even if I didn't just lose $100 on something that won't
work. lol

Thanks.

--
void main () {