POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The pulse : Re: The pulse Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The pulse
From: John VanSickle
Date: 4 Nov 2008 17:58:38
Message: <4910d39e@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Carl Friedrich Gauss.
>
> Damn. Apparently it's /ˈɡaʊs/. I always thought it was /ɡʊərs/.
>
> Oh well - apparently I've been saying it wrong all these years...
>
> Is there any specific reason why all great mathematicians were foreign?

That's because every nation is a minority of the world, and therefore
most mathematicians are foreign.

And before 1776, all great mathematicians were foreign to the US because
there was no US.  This probably doesn't help your situation.

I recall reading somewhere, however, that the great work of math is
still in progress.  There remain a large number of unsolved,
long-standing problems in math, and some of the frontiers of theoretical
physics are presently at a standstill because the necessary math hasn't
been developed yet.

Regards,
John