POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The pulse : Re: The pulse Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:10:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The pulse
From: andrel
Date: 4 Nov 2008 15:15:40
Message: <4910ADC1.9080104@hotmail.com>
On 04-Nov-08 11:27, Invisible wrote:
> scott wrote:
>>> Is there any specific reason why all great mathematicians were foreign?
>>
>> Because 99% of the people in the world are foreign for you?
>
> Mmm. Yes, that must be it...
>
>> I can think of Newton, Babbage, Turing and Darwin off the top of my
>> head as very famous British scientists/mathematicians, I am sure there
>> are many many more.
>
> Heh. Imagine going to school and learning about "Dave's forces" or
> "Bob's law". Wouldn't be quite the same as van der Waals forces and
> Hooke's law, would it?

First names of van der waals were: Johannes Diderik so if they followed
your convention it might have been Johan's law (or Jan's or Diderik or
Rik, I don't know what his family called him). Aside I studied in
Amsterdam and had lectures in the room they built for him there. A
theater with the names of famous physicist in friezes (if that is the
correct term) on the wall. Like we have the famous composers in the
Concertgebouw.
They also had the foundation of the workshop there separately from the
rest of the foundations. Just to make sure they did not ruin the
experiments.