POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : War of the codecs : Re: War of the codecs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: War of the codecs
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Nov 2008 11:39:26
Message: <49107abe$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> In the uncompressed case, you take some data on disk and copy it to
>> the framebuffer.
>
> Not quite. You need to align the scanlines, perhaps reorder the R, G,
> and B, etc. You can't just blit the whole image to the screen like you
> could with an Amiga.  And I'd highly expect that it goes through RAM on
> the way between disk and screen.

Well actually, WMP is playing it back at 200% original size, if you want
to be picky about it.

Even so, moving data from A to B has to be faster than performing highly
elaborate arithmetic over it. Unless DMA really does require *that much*
CPU power.

> Depends on how expensive decompressing into the frame buffer is compared
> to moving the uncompressed data in and out of RAM.

Bearing in mind that the video data in question is many, many times
larger than any L1 or L2 cache on Earth...