POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : War of the codecs : Re: War of the codecs Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: War of the codecs
From: Invisible
Date: 4 Nov 2008 04:37:07
Message: <491017c3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> At lower bitrates, the ridiculously-named codec "H.264" seems to look
>> slightly better than Xvid, which looks a bit better than DivX, which
>> looks quite a bit better than MPEG1.
>
>   They will look better at lower bitrates if you use multipass encoding.

OK, I'll try that. Like I said, I basically just ran the codecs with
everything at default.

>> I am not, however, seeing the reputed "massive" difference in image
>> quality.
>
>   Not in image quality. In quality/size ratio. Try lowering the bitrate
> for all the codecs (trying to keep all the resulting file sizes about
> the same) and until you start seeing significant differences.

Well, all the files came out almost exactly the same size, as you can
see. (And given the same average bitrate, you'd expect that.)

In the dying minutes of last night, I quickly tried using a different
video, and got radically different results. I think my test video is
just too easy to compress. (It's 80% black pixels, and 20% green pixels
of varying brightness.) So I think I should rerun my experiment on a
harder video.

The slightly weird thing is that if I play back, say, a DivX video in
WMP, there are a small amount of visual artifacts. But if I take the
DivX video and use Virtual Dub to decompress it to an uncompressed AVI
and then play that in WMP, I get slightly different visual artifacts... WTF?

(Also, as I mentioned, this happens with "lossless" codecs. When I play,
say, a Huffyuv video in WMP, it looks very slightly fuzzy, and the black
becomes dark grey. But if I decompress it and play the decompressed
version, it looks perfect again. Very odd...)