POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : procedural texture as a bump map? : Re: procedural texture as a bump map? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: procedural texture as a bump map?
From: nemesis
Date: 3 Nov 2008 19:51:07
Message: <490f9c7b$1@news.povray.org>
Dave VanHorn wrote:
>> #declare N_WoodGrain12a = normal {
>>     bozo
>>     turbulence 0.04
>>     lambda 2.5
>>     omega 0.1
>>     octaves 7
>>     scale <0.5, 0.05, 0.05>
>> };
>
> Ok, but how did you arrive at that?
> I looked through the docs on normal, but didn't see any way to apply the pigment
> or texture as a normal.

Other than experience and a lot of RTFM, you should read more closely
and realize there's no such a thing as "any way to apply the pigment or
texture as a normal", I think you got that wrong.

A normal features a pattern, just like a pigment.  In fact, you can use
pretty much the same pattern and options for one and the other, the only
main differences are that pigment can have color_map and normal, a
bump_size property.