POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 17:18:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Nov 2008 17:06:41
Message: <490f75f1$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 09:37:45 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Eventually went and got a keyboard and monitor and plugged in - Vista
>> had reverted *every* *damned* *change* *I* *made*.
>
> Weird. I've occasionally had it happen where it "couldn't load my
> profile" when I remote loggined, leaving me with everything as if I was
> logging in for the first time. But logging out and logging back in
> always fixed that. I figured a temporary timing failure somewhere.

Huh, yeah, I tried rebooting the machine a couple of times, and it just
completely forgot what it was supposed to do.

>> HP very *helpfully* requires that you use the actual OS the drivers are
>> written for in order to extract them.
>
> The abusiveness of HP's "rescue disks" are one of the many reasons I no
> longer will buy any HP machine. :-)

I can understand that.  If I weren't running Linux, I think I'd probably
do the same.  I have to admit, though, I really like the machine I
bought.  It runs Linux very nicely. :-)

Jim