POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bash.org is back! : Re: Bash.org is back! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 04:37:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bash.org is back!
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2008 14:16:22
Message: <490f4e06$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   The problem is that I don't want to "hover for a bit" or make an extra
> click to show the full menu.

You are aware you can turn this off, right? It's some click-box in the
options stuff.

> If I have used a menu a lot, I remember from
> heart where those most used menu elements are, and selecting is usually
> a question of click+drag+release. A menu which changes contents and doesn't
> even show all the options and where the options I use change locations
> completely defies this and is one of the most annoying things ever.

I'm assuming you're talking about Word or some such here? If not, which
are you speaking of?  I've not been bothered by menus reordering
themselves, but maybe I haven't run into it. Things showing up and
disappearing, or different sets of menus being available depending on
what you're editing, yes. But not arbitrary reordering.

>   Do you know what I hate in Firefox? The damned changing context menu!
> It drives me crazy. Whether or not the first element is "back" depends
> on where you click! It's annoying as hell.

That's kind of the point of a "context" menu, tho. :-)

>> And I still miss the Smalltalk technique of bringing up the pop-up menu
>> such that the previous thing you selected is selected again for you. :-)
>
>   That could also become annoying if you are accustomed to click + drag a
> certain amount + release, to select an option you use a lot.

Sure, I suppose. I find that kind of menu always has my mouse sliding
off the edge of the desk, tho, when I'm doing something repetitive. I
guess if you're used to one way of working, another is going to annoy
one until one gets used to it.  Sounds like you have better mousing
precision than I do. :-)

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)