POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:20:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Nov 2008 11:41:41
Message: <490f29c5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I know that MPEG has several different kinds of frames, some of which
> are individual, independent frames, and some of which are related to
> previous frames. I can just never remember the exact details; every
> reference on the subject that I've ever read has made it sound insanely
> complex, when obviously it isn't.

It's pretty easy. There's three kinds of frames:

I - Independent. Basically JPEG. Used when going FF and Fast Reverse.
About every half second.

P - Predictive. Differences based on the previous I frame. About five
per I frame.

B - Bidirectional. Based in the previous and following frame.

Lots of cheaper mpeg encoding software doesn't do B frames, because
they're a PITA to calculate efficiently. Natch, with faster and faster
CPUs, this becomes less of a problem. 5 or 10 years ago, you could spend
weeks looking for an easy-to-use compressor that would do B frames.

I think the higher numbered MPEGs added more options to the encoding of
B frames, so that you could look at more than just one frame away, for
example.

> Damn. And here I was thinking an integer-arithmetic FFT would be really
> fast...

When your CPU is a 16-bit CPU on an 8-bit bus running at a dozen MHz,
even integer FFT is slow.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)