POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:24:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Nov 2008 09:02:35
Message: <490f047b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Creating an MPEG2 stream is far from an unambiguous process. Some programs
> do a much better job than other programs ever could, no matter how much you
> fine-tune their settings.

When last I looked, encoding to MPEG1 basically involves taking the DCT
of each frame, in the style of JPEG. There's also some fun with
different frame types. It looked to me like there's basically only one
possible bitstream you can produce. (Well, no, you can fiddle with the
quantinisation matrix, and if you're doing variable bitrate there are
some possibilities.)

I'm not actually sure how MPEG2 differs from MPEG1. I know they added
some more features, but I don't know specifically what.