POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Gail
Date: 3 Nov 2008 05:27:44
Message: <490ed220@news.povray.org>
news:490ec9db$1@news.povray.org...
> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>
>> So I'll tell you what you were told before: MPEG1 sucks. MPEG2 is
>> better. If mpeg4 is a headache for you, just do mpeg2.
>
> MPEG2 is very hard to get hold of. It seems that because DVDs use it, and
> DVD software costs money, it is not possible to get hold of a free MPEG2
> encoder.

http://www.google.com/search?q=free+mpeg2+encoder

The first hit is for the site www.free-codecs.com/download/FreeEnc.htm
"FreeEnc is a free MPEG-2 encoder, which uses avcodec library to encode.
This encoder takes  AVISynth input(.avs) and outputs MPEG2 like  QuEnc, but
the main difference is that every parameter is tweakable, plus it comes with
the optimized parameters of MencodeMe, which are known to produce great
quality."

The third hit is for www.videohelp.com/tools/HC
"HC is a free MPEG2 Encoder. Input can be a d2v project or input using
Avisynth. 2 pass VBR encoding."