POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma? : Re: Gamma? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma?
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 3 Nov 2008 05:01:30
Message: <490ecbfa$1@news.povray.org>
"SafePit" <ste### [at] reids4funcom> wrote in message
>I noticed this today.  I received an error about gamma when rendering an
>image
> with the version set.  I turned off the version information and the the
> image
> created was overexposed.
>
> "Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> with Display_Gamma=2.5 in quickres.ini  my scene renders the same in
>> 3.6.1
>> and 3.7 beta's
>
> Okay, I tried this, expect I put the Display_Gamma in povray.ini.
> However, it
> still was pretty bright.  I tried "Display_Gamma=1.0" instead and
> everything is
> darker, more like what I expect.  I also tried 1.8 (MAC), 2.2 (Windows)
> and both
> created an overexposed image.

I think you got it wrong!

There are two parts for this .....

The Display_Gamma=XX goes in the command line box, or in quickres.ini file.
From the top toolbar select Tools/Edit resolution INI file.  The entry
differes from display to display. My value is 2.5 yours may be the same or
it may not. The other piece is in your scence source file ....

#if (version < 3.7)
    assumed_gamma 2.2
#end

Cheers Jim