POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:11:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Nov 2008 05:01:26
Message: <490ecbf6$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> (Of course, you never see DVDs that look blurry and messed up.
>> Presumably that means they figured out how to avoid that in MPEG2.
>> Unfortunately, MPEG2 is the hardest codec under the sun to find
>> software for - presumably because they use it on DVDs, so everybody
>> wants to charge you *money* for it...)
>
> Xvid4PSP offers MPEG2 PAL and NTSC format options, with encoding options
> like "1-pass 8mbit", "2-pass 8mbit", "CBR 9.2mbit", and "copy" which
> presumably does no reencoding if your source file is already MPEG2
> compatible.
>
> I would expect those would give the same results as a commerical DVD.

Heh. My DVD authoring software [came free with the DVD burner] doesn't
give me quality *quite* that good. (Although it is fairly close.)

> But for uploading to YouTube, I would use a more modern codec like xVid
> (which they accept) that will give you smaller files for the same quality.

At the moment, just getting good quality at all - at *any* filesize -
would be impressive.

What I can't figure out is this: There are dozens of audio codecs that
can take a sound file and make it *at least* 5x smaller with absolutely
_NO_ detectable loss of quality at all. (And far smaller still if you're
willing to sacrifice a little clarity.) But it seems there are no codecs
that can shrink video without a visible loss of quality. (Aside from a
few lossless codecs which usually give you about ~20% smaller or so.)

I guess video is just a much harder problem...