POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hey! : Re: Hey! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey!
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Nov 2008 04:56:32
Message: <490ecad0$1@news.povray.org>
>> That is, I was driving down the M45 [which is almost deserted] at a
>> mere 50 MPH due to the dense snow. This was clearly far too slow for
>> the car behind me, so he sprints off past me like I was standing still.
>
> Not a problem in itself, if he could see far enough ahead to stop safely
> if he needed to.  Lots of people regularly drive here at speeds of over
> 50 mph in the snow quite safely.

Well I was having trouble seeing where I'm going. OTOH, my wipers don't
work properly. (They leave a streak at *exactly* eye-level. How do blade
manufacturers do that? If the blade is going to leave a streak, it is
*always* at exactly eye-level...)

> Hehe, here's a tutorial how to do a 360 in the snow without using the
> handbrake: steer to the left a bit, then brake and steer the other way
> quickly.  I suspect he did exactly that not realising how his car would
> react.  What works ok in the dry or wet, often gives totally different
> results in the snow because one or more tyres can obviously completely
> lose grip much easier.

The snow basically turned to slush as soon as it touched the road, so it
was like driving through a river... heh. Not the weather for weaving in
between cars at motorway speeds. :-P

> He should be lucky he didn't damage anybody else or their cars.

Damn straight!

> Anyway,
> I guess even if nobody reported him to the police, he will likely drive
> more safely from now on after that episode.

For the sake of my faith in humanity, I *want* to believe you... but I
suspect not.