POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:09:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: scott
Date: 3 Nov 2008 04:47:47
Message: <490ec8c3@news.povray.org>
> (Of course, you never see DVDs that look blurry and messed up. Presumably
> that means they figured out how to avoid that in MPEG2. Unfortunately,
> MPEG2 is the hardest codec under the sun to find software for - presumably
> because they use it on DVDs, so everybody wants to charge you *money* for
> it...)

Xvid4PSP offers MPEG2 PAL and NTSC format options, with encoding options
like "1-pass 8mbit", "2-pass 8mbit", "CBR 9.2mbit", and "copy" which
presumably does no reencoding if your source file is already MPEG2
compatible.

I would expect those would give the same results as a commerical DVD.

But for uploading to YouTube, I would use a more modern codec like xVid
(which they accept) that will give you smaller files for the same quality.