POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hey! : Re: Hey! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hey!
From: scott
Date: 3 Nov 2008 04:44:06
Message: <490ec7e6$1@news.povray.org>
> That is, I was driving down the M45 [which is almost deserted] at a mere
> 50 MPH due to the dense snow. This was clearly far too slow for the car
> behind me, so he sprints off past me like I was standing still.

Not a problem in itself, if he could see far enough ahead to stop safely if
he needed to.  Lots of people regularly drive here at speeds of over 50 mph
in the snow quite safely.

> About a mile ahead of me, I see him zigging between other cars... and then
> I see his headlights do a complete 360...

Hehe, here's a tutorial how to do a 360 in the snow without using the
handbrake: steer to the left a bit, then brake and steer the other way
quickly.  I suspect he did exactly that not realising how his car would
react.  What works ok in the dry or wet, often gives totally different
results in the snow because one or more tyres can obviously completely lose
grip much easier.

> When I reached that point in the road, the car was pointing the wrong way
> down the hard shoulder, apparently undamaged but covered in mowed grass,
> with the occupant standing in the driver's side doorway looking at the
> car.

He should be lucky he didn't damage anybody else or their cars.  Anyway, I
guess even if nobody reported him to the police, he will likely drive more
safely from now on after that episode.