POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 18:27:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 2 Nov 2008 04:51:41
Message: <490d782d$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> I remember that. You could also reprogram both hercules graphics cards
> and Radio Shack TRS-80 Model II machines to turn off the H and V refresh
> on the video, overheating the spot in the middle of the screen until the
> tube cracked.

Nnnice. That must have made a nice cracking sound :).

> Yeah. It's just reputation-enhancing. I think a lot of CAD-using
> companies relied on Matrox, so knowing their expensive workstations
> weren't going to need to be fixed was a useful thing for Matrox,
> encouraging future sales.  But the really high-end gaming cards are out
> of date faster than the OS is anyway, so ... what difference does it make?

Yep, pure business. I'm pretty sure if I was running a company like
Nvidia I'd work exactly the same. I might do some time-shifting for the
drivers, but releasing Vista-drivers for G400-aged card... No way.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net