POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 18:27:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2008 01:13:23
Message: <490d4503$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Generally by trying to view the source of any website from within IE7.

Odd. Maybe it's more IE than UAC; as I understand it, it's only UAC if
the screen goes dim except for the prompt. (That's something that only
the UAC can do, so you can be sure it's a real UAC prompt, sort of like
the control-alt-delete thing popping up the password prompt.)

I can see IE asking if you want to execute some external program with
input downloaded from the web. Or maybe it's just f'ed, and you don't
have rights to see your own web history. I'll agree that sounds broken,
tho. I haven't used IE in ages, so I'm not familiar with its quirks.

> More than once it also asks me if I should
> permit an already installed program to execute.

I think it does that when the program explicitly asks for privs, even if
it's already installed. I mean, all the stuff like chkdsk and defrag are
already installed, and they ask for privs.

> What really annoys me the most is that I'm quite sure I turned the
> damned UAC feature off...

I believe you. I don't have a whole lot of experience with it yet. I
just have to say it hasn't annoyed *me* yet, except for the broken
software crap that came with the computer.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)