POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 18:28:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Nov 2008 01:21:14
Message: <490d38ca$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Except that something like kdesu asks you once for the root password (per
> run), but UAC asks you incessantly (in my own experience - which is
> somewhat limited) whether or not you want to allow X, Y, or Z to happen.
> It's not content with just asking once.

Well, it asks once per process you invoke with admin rights, just like
sudo. No, sudo doesn't ask for the password every time, but it makes you
type "sudo" every time, which was kind of what I was saying. I guess the
difference is that a program can ask for admin rights, and you type the
password to get them, just like starting up yast2 from the gui menu, I
guess. If the stuff would just silently fail if you don't invoke it
properly (like, say, linux's fdisk does), I guess you could get away
with not asking the password.

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)