POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now Australia too... : Re: Now Australia too... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now Australia too...
From: John VanSickle
Date: 1 Nov 2008 22:23:33
Message: <490d0f25$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:
>> Random searches of private homes are prohibited under our Constitution.
>
> Oddly enough, given that *random* searches of peoples bags and cars are
> apparently OK, as long as they're *random*, I wouldn't bet on this not
> getting interpreted differently in the future.

This I tend to doubt.  The inadmissibility of evidence seized in the
search of a private home, without a warrant (or the owner's consent),
has been a settled question in US case law for decades.

The chief problem with search-and-seizure law in the US is that the
Constitution prohibits "unreasonable" searches and seizures, which of
course means whatever the court says it means.

Regards,
John