POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mixing transformations : Re: Mixing transformations Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mixing transformations
From: Jim Charter
Date: 1 Nov 2008 16:57:18
Message: <490cc2ae$1@news.povray.org>
HelveticaFanatic wrote:
> I am modeling trains using Spline_Trans. Is there a way to average out the
> points above each wheel set to get a position for the train so that it still
> has the banking from Spline_Trans but shift over the side of the track so that
> the wheels are above the tracks? Thanks.

If I am understanding what you want, you can take points from along the
spline on either side of a given point, together with the root point you
can then use cross product (vcross(A,B) see the docs) to approximate a
normal which which would reflect the banking of the spline.  You would
'normalize it of course and then multiply by the radius of your wheel to
get the level where the axle would be.  If you don't quite understand
what I mean, I would suggest you research what cross product is and work
backward from there to a solution.

-Jim