POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 14:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Nov 2008 14:15:04
Message: <490c9ca8@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 13:19:44 +0200, Eero Ahonen wrote:

> To exactly how many pieces of hardware have you lost the support on
> Linux while upgrading to a newer version of Linux? The difference
> between Linux and Vista here is that if your device worked with Zoot
> (RedHat 6.2) and 2.2 -series kernel, it most probably still works with
> newest SuSE and 2.6 -series kernel - at least if you're still able to
> physically plug the device in.

Arguably, that's only if the driver is part of the kernel build.  I've
got an old flatbed scanner here that the kernel drivers were no longer
developed for after 2.2 kernels.  No matter, because I got a new scanner.

If the code is no longer maintained, then changes in the kernel can (and
do) prevent the module from building at all.

Jim