POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 : Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40 Server Time
10 Oct 2024 12:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux really costs a _lot_ more than $40
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 1 Nov 2008 07:18:37
Message: <490c3b0d@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Yeah. Funny enough, people complain about Vista not supporting hardware
> right, but don't think that's a problem for Linux. :-) "Just buy the
> right hardware to start with."  My machines tend to last a number of
> years, so "buy the right hardware" isn't always possible for me.

To exactly how many pieces of hardware have you lost the support on
Linux while upgrading to a newer version of Linux? The difference
between Linux and Vista here is that if your device worked with Zoot
(RedHat 6.2) and 2.2 -series kernel, it most probably still works with
newest SuSE and 2.6 -series kernel - at least if you're still able to
physically plug the device in.

If your hw works with Linux now, it'll work for the number of years,
even if you do update your software. As far as I've understood, if your
hw works with 2k or XP, you can't be sure it'll still work with Vista.

And yes, I'll have to admit - em8300 -support took a while to work in
64-bit. That's the only case I've hit my head with.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net