POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : location dependant refractive index : Re: location dependant refractive index Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: location dependant refractive index
From: Alain
Date: 31 Oct 2008 19:10:25
Message: <490b9061$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge nous illumina en ce 2008-10-31 15:25 -->
> feestje wrote:
>> hi all,
>>
>> I want to make an animation about the so-called "mirage effect" on a
>> heated
>> surface with a sphere present. (what is the mirage effect:
>> http://www.physlink.com/Education/askExperts/ae428.cfm)
>>
>> Basicly the effect is created by a difference in refractive indix of a
>> hot and a
>> cold medium (water). Is it possible in PORAY to create a location
>> dependant
>> refractive index?
>>
>> Regards, Ruud
>
> You cannot give an object a variable index of refraction, sorry. But you
> *can* stack many transparent objects onto each other, each having a
> different ior. It might work for the mirage effect. The render times
> using this method are slooow, even on faster computers.
>
> Or you could try modeling a microsphere atmosphere, but this would
> render even more slowly, I'm pretty sure.
>
> Sam

You may not need many stacked objects. Just one or two thin boxes, or strongly
flattened spheres or cylinders, with a clever normal may be enough. Just
remember to keep the ior close to 1.
Start with 1. Do some test renders altering the ior and normal. Then, if needed,
add a second one. Tewak only that added object to adjust as needed. The second
object should have an ior closer to 1 than the first.

--
Alain
'hAS ANYONE SEEN MY cAPSLOCK KEY?'