POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How is fade_color used? : Re: How is fade_color used? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:47:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is fade_color used?
From: Alain
Date: 31 Oct 2008 18:23:59
Message: <490b857f$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis nous illumina en ce 2008-10-30 22:44 -->
> Alain wrote:
>> fade_power controls the "shape" of the atenuation curve. This should
>> normaly be set to 1 OR 1001. Both are correct. 1 is a linear
>> atenuation 1001 is an exponential atenuation.
>
> WTF?!
>
> why 1001?!  I always used 2 and it seems to work...

fade_power 2 is good for the fading of a light source as it fades according the
the square of the distance, or the light's energy is spread over the square of
the radius. Twice the distance = one fourth the illumination, or the same
illumination spread over four times the surface.

When you work with transparency, the atenuation is linear, thus fade_power 1.
Twice the distance = twice the effect.

--
Alain
If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool