POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Christmas tree lights? : Re: Christmas tree lights? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas tree lights?
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 31 Oct 2008 16:31:00
Message: <490b6b04@news.povray.org>
"stbenge" <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> So, do you want a halo around the objects? Or do you want somebody to
> model the bulbs for you?
If anyone has already done it well, sure.  I wouldn't want someone to write
my code for me, though.  ;-)
Mostly, I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel here.  The problem is that
some things which look good from a distance, won't look very good on closer
inspection.

> If it's a halo you want, I do have experience in that department. I've got
> a version of my luminous bloom code which takes HDR images as input, and
> (slowly) spits out the image with halos around the bright parts. You would
> have to give the bulbs (or the filaments inside them) really high ambient
> values, and output the first render to HDR format. You would need to use
> 3.7b or MegaPOV for the whole process. If you wish to pursue this route,
> let me know and I'll post the updated luminous bloom code (I should post
> it anyway).

Later tonight, I'm planning to play around with the Megapov glow features,
and see how it looks.  At this point, I'm really not sure how they do what
they do, and whether or not they'd be suitable.  Maybe I'll use them in
conjunction with regular light sources, or maybe something else...

If I understand how you describe your luminous bloom code, if you have an
object with a really high ambient value, it will "bleed" into the
surrounding pixels.  I guess I wouldn't know for certain until I've tried
it, but that sounds kind of like what I'm after here.

Perhaps I'll end up with some combination of effects.  Time to start
experimenting...  If I come up with something good, I'll certainly share the
code and concepts with anyone who requests.