POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Processor speed : Re: Processor speed Server Time
7 Sep 2024 01:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processor speed
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 31 Oct 2008 14:21:34
Message: <490b4cae$1@news.povray.org>
>> How wide is a typical cache line?
>

> Warp said 32 bytes. I thought that was way smaller than I remembered,
> but I went and variously tracked it down, and indeed, most of the modern
> machines seem to have 32-byte cache lines.  I think they used to be
> wider, like 128 bytes, but maybe I'm misremembering, or thinking of
> mainframes, or something.

Right. So just to make sure I understand this... you're saying the cache
is managed in chunks of 32 bytes at a time? Like, if you fetch 1 byte of
data from memory, 32 bytes will be loaded into the least recently used
cache line? (Or whatever the cache policy is.)

Are the cache lines aligned in any sort of way? (I'm wondering if it
grabs 32 bytes at the nearest 32-byte boundary or not.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/