POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now Australia too... : Re: Now Australia too... Server Time
9 Oct 2024 20:48:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now Australia too...
From: somebody
Date: 31 Oct 2008 12:12:49
Message: <490b2e81$1@news.povray.org>
news:490b1677@news.povray.org...
> http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0%2C21985%2C24568137-2862%2C00.html
>
>   Same story as here: The government has "good" intentions, the
implementation
> is completely flawed, and only sets up a sensorship system which can be
> abused for other things in the future as well.
>
>   Why do I feel that child porn in the WWW (note: not the internet as a
> whole, but the WWW) is not a big problem per se, but more a convenient
> excuse for setting up internet censorship, which seems something every
> government is anxious to implement?

I believe that child porn is way overhyped, but on the other hand, has there
ever been an abuse of the censorship implemented against it - has any anti
child porn law turned into a tool of political oppression? Everybody seems
to make the slippery slope argument, but is it really valid? Governments
that are able to force their way down the slippery slope to oppression don't
need an excuse to implement censorship in the first place, they just
implement it. Why not oppose taxes too? If a government can take 25% of your
earnings, why not argue that it's a convenient excuse for them to eventually
take 99.9%?