POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It must be friday : Re: It must be friday Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It must be friday
From: Tom Austin
Date: 31 Oct 2008 10:07:01
Message: <490b1105$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>> The new global backup procedure that's being drafted will mean that
>>> backup tapes are stored *forever*. (With the corresponding
>>> astronomical increase in expenditure on new tapes and physical
>>> storage space. But hey, it's not my money.)
>>
>>   As I said, that doesn't need to be the case. For example daily backups
>> worth an entire month can be stored in an incremental backup system. This
>> way only one backup per month has to be stored permanently, but it will
>> still allow restoring any single day of that month, and the size of the
>> backup will be only somewhat larger than the size of the entire system
>> being backed up. (Basically it's the entire system plus modifications
>> during that month.)
>
> The plan is to store only the monthly full backup tapes - so that's only
> actually 12 tapes per year. Of course, in 20 years' time we'll have 240
> of the suckers - not to mention the fact that in 20 years' time, people
> probably won't be using LTO1 any more so there probably won't be any
> equipment that can still read the tapes thus making their retention
> utterly pointless. But in the main it's a sound system...

Back when I was helping to build cars I deleted a file and only noticed
that it was gone something like 6 months later.

Luckily, their rotation kept some very old tapes.

I don't remember specifically, but their rotation was something like:

daily for a month
after the month, just keep the weekly tapes
After 3 months keep only the monthly - permanently

Or something roughly like that.
It won't catch everything, but it catches most things.

Tom