POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It must be friday : Re: It must be friday Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It must be friday
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Oct 2008 08:47:56
Message: <490afe7c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>> The new global backup procedure that's being drafted will mean that
>> backup tapes are stored *forever*. (With the corresponding astronomical
>> increase in expenditure on new tapes and physical storage space. But
>> hey, it's not my money.)
>
>   As I said, that doesn't need to be the case. For example daily backups
> worth an entire month can be stored in an incremental backup system. This
> way only one backup per month has to be stored permanently, but it will
> still allow restoring any single day of that month, and the size of the
> backup will be only somewhat larger than the size of the entire system
> being backed up. (Basically it's the entire system plus modifications
> during that month.)

The plan is to store only the monthly full backup tapes - so that's only
actually 12 tapes per year. Of course, in 20 years' time we'll have 240
of the suckers - not to mention the fact that in 20 years' time, people
probably won't be using LTO1 any more so there probably won't be any
equipment that can still read the tapes thus making their retention
utterly pointless. But in the main it's a sound system...