POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It must be friday : Re: It must be friday Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It must be friday
From: Warp
Date: 31 Oct 2008 08:44:25
Message: <490afda9@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> The new global backup procedure that's being drafted will mean that
> backup tapes are stored *forever*. (With the corresponding astronomical
> increase in expenditure on new tapes and physical storage space. But
> hey, it's not my money.)

  As I said, that doesn't need to be the case. For example daily backups
worth an entire month can be stored in an incremental backup system. This
way only one backup per month has to be stored permanently, but it will
still allow restoring any single day of that month, and the size of the
backup will be only somewhat larger than the size of the entire system
being backed up. (Basically it's the entire system plus modifications
during that month.)

--
                                                          - Warp