POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Gail
Date: 31 Oct 2008 07:27:47
Message: <490aebb3@news.povray.org>
news:490ae0c2$1@news.povray.org...

> You look at your PC. You have half a dozen codecs available. Which ones
> are you going to spend most time investigating? The ones you've never
> heard of? Or the ones you've heard about that are supposed to be good?
> Where are you going to spend the most effort?

First I'd spend some time investigating what are considered to be good
codecs, which ones are popular and which are seldom used, rather than
relying on my own knowledge. If I have some I've never heard of (and if so,
why would I have them at all), I'd do a little bit of investigating until I
had a basic understanding of them

> Also... You make it sound like Google is some magical Oracle that will
> instantly answer any possible question.

I never said that. I said that you should investigate, verify and confirm
for yourself. If you search and can't find an answer, that's one thing, when
you state something as a categorical truth and half a minute with google
proves that it's completely false, that's quite another.

Searching's a skill that needs practice, it's not obvious first time what
keywords are going to produce an answer. Sometimes it takes several
searches, refining the terms each time based on what's returned and what's
not.

fyi, I've had very few questions where I couldn't get an answer out from
either google or a forum/newsgroup/mailing list on the particular subject.
That's for work stuff, for stuff that I'm casually interested in, for
game-related stuff and for information for my Masters thesis.