POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It must be friday : It must be friday Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:35 EDT (-0400)
  It must be friday
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Oct 2008 06:24:35
Message: <490adce3$1@news.povray.org>
Guess what? I need to recover some data.

 From March.

Our backup rotation doesn't go back nearly that far. In other words, if
there is to be *any hope* of getting that data back, I'm going to have to...

...undelete files.

 From the server's harddrive. o_O

Now, taking a disk image of a 64 MB flash drive and playing with it is
one thing. But one does not simply walk into Mordor - er, I mean, one
does not simply copy a 103 GB RAID array. It's far too huge for there to
be anywhere to copy it *to*. And finding anything will be fun; any idea
how many thousands of files are on there *now*? Never mind the deleted ones.

Oh, and it's NTFS, not FAT. Oh yeah, and the data I want to find is not
in any "common" file format; it's a proprietry format used by our lab
software.

And of course, on top of all that, what are the chances of actually
finding deleted files on a busy server? How many minutes do you think a
file survives before being completely overwritten?

To summarise: It's Wild Goose time! :-D

It *must* be friday...