POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube : Re: YouTube Server Time
7 Sep 2024 03:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: YouTube
From: Invisible
Date: 31 Oct 2008 06:06:58
Message: <490ad8c2$1@news.povray.org>
Gail wrote:

> It may not come with it, but that doesn't stop people who have wored
> things out to write tutorials for all the people who can't or who don't
> want to fiddle for days to get a good result.
> If you're wondering how to do something, ask google. Chances are,
> someone has done it before and will have written up something explainig
> how.

I guess I just assumed that if something doesn't come with any
instructions, it's supposed to be "obvious" enough that you don't need them.

At the time, I was only really trying out various codecs. The general
conclusion I reached is that every codec known to man produces some
degree of visible distortion, so it's best to store everything fully
uncompressed, only encoding it when writing to DVD. Basically I only
ever play video on my PC or on a DVD; I've never tried to put video onto
the Internet before.

I decided that for lossy encoding, MPEG1 is good enough. (And has the
advantage that absolutely everything can play it, and there's a nice,
free, fairly usable encoder available.)