POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : How is fade_color used? : Re: How is fade_color used? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is fade_color used?
From: Alain
Date: 30 Oct 2008 18:20:37
Message: <490a3335@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky nous illumina en ce 2008-10-30 11:25 -->
> The documentation of interior attenuation gives two formulas.  Neither formula
> contains fade_color.
>
>    http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/416/
>
> I can experiment forever trying to get a feel for how fade_color affects
> attenuation, but I always seem to get a surprise.  To say, "fade_color
> colorizes the attenuation," has not been helpful to me at all.  It would be so
> much easier to get the results I want if I knew exactly how fade_color fit into
> the equations.
>
> I find media absorption much more predictable despite the inverse coloring.
> However, I tend to avoid it, as it is prone to artifacts.

In the interior block, you need not only face_color but also fade_distance, and
fade_power.

fade_color control what color to fade to.
fade_distance controls the distance, in units, over whitch the face_color
contribute to half of the final coloration.
fade_power controls the "shape" of the atenuation curve. This should normaly be
set to 1 OR 1001. Both are correct. 1 is a linear atenuation 1001 is an
exponential atenuation.

--
Alain
To define recursion, we must first define recursion.