POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bought it (w00t!) : Re: Bought it (w00t!) Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:04:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bought it (w00t!)
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Oct 2008 14:36:53
Message: <4909fec5@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Darren New escreveu:
>> nemesis wrote:
>>> Of course you know email and the web were born on Unix, right?
>>
>> Of course. And composing email on a pre-X UNIX box involved invoking
>> the editor.
>
> So what?  You can still do it today.  I just prefer webmail, though. I'm
> using Thunderbird just for NNTP.

I'm not sure why you seem to be arguing with me when I'm agreeing with
you.  What is the "so what" supposed to mean?

> I'm pretty sure speech recognition doesn't belong to a text editor, but
> some external lib doing the conversion for it.

Yeah, OK. Why don't you try to navigate in a Vi window or an emacs
window using speech recognition? Think about it.

Plus, of course, you'd need the speech recognition to be able to
actually insert what you're saying into the widget you're typing at.
Considering things like thunderbird don't get this right under Windows,
I'd be surprised if something like vi or emacs did.

>> stylus input, multi-touch pad support, stuff like that.
>
> You gotta be kiddin!  Stylus and multi-touch are useful for drawing or
> moving cursors around, not text editing, because it's not precise.

Good. Go use vi without a keyboard. I dare ya.

> 3y} copies 3 (large?) blocks/paragraphs in vim.  Try to do that with a
> mouse, stylus or your finger and marvel at how slow and imprecise it is
> to get it right.

Why do you say "You gotta be kiddin!" and then agree with me? I'm not
following.

> It's slow and imprecise because it's analogical.

Um, yes. That's my point. Why are you disagreeing with me?

"vi is hard to use without a keyboard."
"Don't be stupid! It's hard to use without a keyboard!"
Huh?

--
Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)