POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bought it (w00t!) : Re: Bought it (w00t!) Server Time
10 Oct 2024 03:09:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bought it (w00t!)
From: nemesis
Date: 30 Oct 2008 13:32:35
Message: <4909efb3@news.povray.org>
Darren New escreveu:
> nemesis wrote:
>> Of course you know email and the web were born on Unix, right?
>
> Of course. And composing email on a pre-X UNIX box involved invoking the
> editor.

So what?  You can still do it today.  I just prefer webmail, though.
I'm using Thunderbird just for NNTP.

> The kinds of "problems" I was talking about are things like Vi being
> really bad at (say) speech recognition

I'm pretty sure speech recognition doesn't belong to a text editor, but
some external lib doing the conversion for it.

> stylus input, multi-touch pad
> support, stuff like that.

You gotta be kiddin!  Stylus and multi-touch are useful for drawing or
moving cursors around, not text editing, because it's not precise.

3y} copies 3 (large?) blocks/paragraphs in vim.  Try to do that with a
mouse, stylus or your finger and marvel at how slow and imprecise it is
to get it right.  Most people I know who use the mouse for text editing
always get it wrong:  they either miss the space in the beginning and
when pasting have to re-indent, or miss the final char or whatever.

It's slow and imprecise because it's analogical.